Diocese of Venice, FL
As minors and vulnerable adults participate in activities within or sponsored by our diocese, it is our commitment to provide an environment which is safe and nurturing. Therefore, the mission of the Safe Environment Program is:
- To provide required education for all employees (clergy, religious and laity), those volunteers and others regularly involved with minors, and parents, as to the issue of abuse of children including the detection, prevention and reporting of child abuse.
- To provide required training programs for children and young people in our Catholic schools and religious education programs. This includes age appropriate materials pertaining to personal safety and information about improper touching and relationships. Children are not expected to be fully knowledgeable about child abuse or of the laws governing care of children but they need to know when they should seek assistance from a trusted adult.
- To thoroughly screen and evaluate the background of all diocesan employees – clergy, religious and laity – and those volunteers who work with children and young people.
- To hold those who minister in the name of the Church of Venice – all diocesan employees (clergy, religious and laity) and those volunteers who work with children and young people – to Christ-centered and professional codes of conduct.
An allegation of sexual abuse of a minor by anyone should be reported immediately to:
If the alleged abuser is a diocesan employee or volunteer, including clergy, also notify Victim Assistance Coordinator Susan Benton at 941-416-6114.
Safe Environment Coordinator for Ss. Peter and Paul the Apostles Parish
- Our parish uses www.virtusonline.org for fingerprinting and Safe Environment training (SET). Contact Kim for details and answers to your questions.
Related Content & Resources